Build custom applications to meet your business and engineering requirements
Veiw below instructions that will allow you to take advantage of the eDrawings® API (Application Programming Interface). The eDrawings API allows customization of eDrawings software to meet the specific requirements of your organization. You will need an eDrawings Professional license to build applications that take advantage of the advanced capabilities of eDrawings Professional.
The eDrawings API is comprehensive and enables functions such as automatic archiving of product designs; listing of product design components for visualization purposes; publishing of eDrawings files without having the original CAD application running; viewing of configurations and mass properties; creation of tool tips in association with components; and integration of the advanced viewing and mark-up capabilities.
The SOLIDWORKS eDrawings Application Programming Interface (API) is an OLE programming interface to SOLIDWORKS eDrawings and is implemented as a Microsoft ActiveX control. You can use the eDrawings API to customize the eDrawings Viewer, create interactive web pages, and translate files. The API contains functions that you can call from Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), VB.NET, C++, and C#. These functions provide direct access to the eDrawings environment.
To download the eDrawings API SDK:
- Go to www.solidworks.com.
- Click Support > Downloads.
- If you are logged in, go to step 5. Otherwise, on the Downloads page, click Login for full access to the latest SOLIDWORKS release and updates.
- On the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal page, select the Language, type your Email Address and Password, and click sign in.
- On the Downloads page: In Select Version, select the version to download.
- On the SOLIDWORKS tab, click the SolidWorks version whose eDrawings API SDK you want to download.
- On the SOLIDWORKS Download EULA page, click Accept Agreement & Continue.
- On the Download and Install page, click download, unzip, and install all the files.
- On the Manual Installs page: In Upgrading from Service Pack, select the version from which you are upgrading. In Language, select a language. In SOLIDWORKS Product, select the product. Click Continue.
- On the Manual Download Packages page, under Step 5 – Optional updates, click SOLIDWORKS eDrawings API SDK.
- Click Save, then save the file.
Features & Benefits
Archive Product Designs Automatically
Seamlessly create and archive product design information for reference purposes using eDrawings files.
Share and View Lists of Product Design Components
Share design component information via your company's web site, within custom applications, or inside Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentations.
Share and View Configurations
Share multiple variations of a product design within a single eDrawings file.
Share and View Mass Properties
Allow eDrawings file recipients to view dimensions, mass, volume, density, and surface area of either parts or assemblies shown within an eDrawings file.
Create Tool Tips to Associate with Components
Quickly create tool tips to associate with components and display these within eDrawings files to help make interpretation faster and easier.
*An eDrawings Professional license is required in order to use the eDrawings Professional features with the API.